The Mechanical Engineering Department established in the year 2010 is conducting four year B.Tech course consisting of 8 semesters as per the syllabus of University of Kerala. Students learn fundamental subjects like Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Mechanics of Solids, Thermal engineering, Metallurgy and Material science, Theory of machines, Machine Drawing, Manufacturing Engineering and advanced subjects like, Computer Aided Design, Computer Aided Manufacturing, Finite Element Analysis, Mechatronics, Metrology and Instrumentation, Automobile engineering, Machine Design, Refrigeration and air-conditioning.
The Engineering workshop and laboratories in the department are well equipped with latest machines. The laboratory facilities and working atmosphere provides excellent opportunities to the mechanical students to have hands on experience and practical knowledge. The following are the lab facilities available in the department.
• Fluid Mechanics lab - Notch apparatus, Orifice apparatus, Reynolds apparatus, Orifice meter, Venturi meter, Pipe Friction apparatus, Hydraulic Ram, Meta Centric Height apparatus.
• Hydraulic Machines - Pelton Wheel Turbine, Francis Turbine , Kaplan Turbine , Reciprocating Pump, Constant Speed Centrifugal Pump, Multi Speed Centrifugal Pump, Double End Suction Centrifugal Pump.
• Heat Engines lab - Single Cylinder 2 Stroke Petrol engine with electrical loading, Single Cylinder 4 stroke Diesel engine with Rope Brake Dynamometer, Four cylinder 4 stroke Diesel Engine with Rope Brake Dynamometer, Twin Cylinder 4 stroke Diesel Engine with Hydraulic Dynamometer, Four cylinder four stroke petrol engine, Cut Model of Single Cylinder Diesel Engine, Cut Model of Single Cylinder 4 stroke Petrol Engine, Bomb Calorimeter, Gas Calorimeter, Redwood Viscometer, Flash & Fire Point apparatus, Air Compressors, Air Blower.
• Production Engineering and Machine Tools Lab - 22 lathes, 10 shaping machines, 2 universal cylindrical grinding machines, 2 universal milling machines, 2 horizontal milling machines, 2 vertical milling machines, surface grinding machine, radial drilling machine, slotting machine, planning machine, tool and cutter, band saw.
• General Engineering Workshop - Carpentry, Fitting, Plumbing, Sheet Metal, Foundry, Welding, Smithy.
Department has well qualified and dedicated teaching faculty with M Tech and Ph D degree from premier institutions. The faculty has been motivated to attend various National and International workshops, seminars and training programs so as to keep pace with the new teaching methodologies and latest technological developments.
The department has a very effective student advisory system with cordial teacher-student relationship. Industrial visits are conducted regularly to familiarize the students with the industrial environment.
The Mechanical department association "REOMZ" (Raising Engines of Mechanical Zonary) is the platform for organizing the departmental activities. The association was inaugurated by Dr V Ajith Prabhu, Joint Director, Kerala State council for science Technology and Environment on 11th January 2011. As part of the association activities lecturers by industrial experts and student's paper presentations are organized regularly. Blood donation camps are organized in association with the NSS unit of the college.